Matthew J. Bunkers, Ph.D.
Certified Consulting Meteorologist
Phone: 605.390.7243 (mobile)
Motivation, Experience, and Specialties:
- I have a passion for meteorology, solving problems, and helping others (additional information here).
- Over 30 years of weather analysis and forecasting experience, and over 6 years as a consulting meteorologist
- Specialties include: forensic meteorology, weather and forecasting, radar, satellite, severe storms, hail, rainfall and flooding, fog, winter weather, heavy snow, icing, slip and falls, fire weather, high winds, lightning verification, applied climate and meteorology, agriculture weather, education and training, and technical editing
- Retained and/or used as a consultant for 63 cases since 2017
- See below for recent case experience.
Based out of Rapid City, South Dakota, I provide consulting services across the United States. Clients have been from Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Texas, and Wyoming.
CV and Fee Schedule:
Available upon request. I have a negotiable 3- or 4-h retainer (depending on the case/location), and bill in 5-min increments. The initial consultations prior to being retained are free.
To inquire about retaining me, either call (605.390.7243), email (email@example.com), or contact me here.
Recent Case Experience:
- As a Certified Consulting Meteorologist (CCM), I have worked on a variety of cases, including the following:
- analyses of hail/wind/tornado damage to businesses, crops, farm property (e.g., barns, grain bins, and irrigation systems), and housing units for insurance-related claims/lawsuits,
- climate and severe/winter weather analyses for a mining operation, preventative planting insurance claim, crop spraying, and livestock operations,
- rainfall recurrence interval analyses for flooding of homes and flash-flood related damages to businesses,
- snowfall and rainfall analyses for insurance protection claims for recreational events,
- climate and severe/winter weather documentation for construction delays and adverse weather days,
- cloud cover/moonlight, rainfall, fog, and icing/snow/wind analyses for automobile accidents,
- slips and falls related to snowfall, icing/refreezing, and freezing drizzle,
- windstorm and drought analysis for a wildfire,
- fire-weather observations and research papers for a fellow consulting meteorologist,
- a technical review of a weather book,
- a general radar/hail project,
- an air-quality and weather-related assessment,
- presentations on flash flooding, storm observing, photography, and safety, and
- consulting advice for a colleague.
- Previously, I assisted the Air Force and United States Forest Service by providing meteorological data and interpretation for an investigation of a C-130 crash that occurred while fighting a wildfire during August 2012.
- I was part of the Service Assessment team for the Rogers, Minnesota, F2 tornado that occurred on 16 September 2006.
- I served the South Dakota legal system on 27 June 2005 by providing expert weather testimony for a homicide case.
- I have reviewed well over 100 papers for professional journals, and was recognized for this service by the American Meteorological Society (AMS) Editor’s Award in 2004 for Weather and Forecasting. In addition, I was the keynote speaker for three conferences, a guest/invited speaker for 24 various events, and a presenter for at least 17 other local to national conferences, webinars, and/or workshops.
- Click here for more information on services that I provide.
Introduction | Services | Qualifications | Past Cases | About | Documents