Matthew J. Bunkers, Ph.D.
Certified Consulting Meteorologist
Phone: 605.390.7243 (mobile)
Contact Northern Plains Weather
Have a case where weather may be a factor?
- As a consulting meteorologist and weather expert, I have a passion for meteorology, solving problems, helping others, and promoting weather justice (additional information).
- I have over 30 years of weather analysis and forecasting experience, and over six years as a consulting meteorologist.
- Specialties include: forensic meteorology, slip and falls, heavy rain and flooding, high winds, fog, severe storms, hail, tornadoes, winter weather, heavy snow, icing, fire weather, weather-related accidents, agriculture weather, lightning verification, radar, and satellite.
- I have been retained and/or used as a consultant for 73 cases since 2017.
- See below for recent case experience.
Based out of Rapid City, South Dakota, I provide consulting services across the United States. Clients have been from Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Texas, and Wyoming.
CV and Fee Schedule:
Available upon request. I have a negotiable 3- or 4-h retainer (depending on the case/location), and bill in 5-min increments. The initial consultations prior to being retained are free.
Retaining Me as a Consulting Meteorologist/Weather Expert:
Recent Case Experience as a Consulting Meteorologist/Weather Expert:
- As a Certified Consulting Meteorologist (CCM) and weather expert, I have worked on a variety of cases, including the following (Past Cases & Testimonials):
- analyses of hail/wind/tornado damage to businesses, crops, farm property (e.g., barns, grain bins, and irrigation systems), and housing units for insurance-related claims/lawsuits,
- climate and severe/winter weather analyses for a mining operation, preventative planting insurance claim, crop spraying, and livestock operations,
- rainfall recurrence interval analyses for flooding of homes and flash-flood related damages to businesses,
- snowfall and rainfall analyses for insurance protection claims for recreational events,
- climate and severe/winter weather documentation for construction delays and adverse weather days,
- cloud cover/moonlight, rainfall, fog, and icing/snow/wind analyses for automobile accidents,
- slip and falls related to snowfall, icing/refreezing, and freezing drizzle,
- windstorm and drought analysis for wildfires,
- fire-weather observations and research papers for a fellow consulting meteorologist,
- a technical review of a weather book,
- a general radar/hail project,
- an air-quality and weather-related assessment,
- presentations on flash flooding, storm observing, photography, and safety, and
- consulting advice for a colleague.
Other Relevant Experience:
- Previously, I assisted the United States Air Force and Forest Service by providing meteorological data and interpretation for an investigation of a C-130 crash that occurred while fighting a wildfire during August 2012.
- I was part of the Service Assessment team for the Rogers, Minnesota, F2 tornado that occurred on 16 September 2006.
- Prior to becoming a CCM, I served the South Dakota legal system on 27 June 2005 by providing expert weather testimony for a homicide case.
- I have reviewed well over 100 papers for professional journals, and was recognized for this service by the American Meteorological Society (AMS) Editor’s Award in 2004 for Weather and Forecasting. In addition, I was the keynote speaker for three conferences, a guest/invited speaker for 25 various events, and a presenter for at least 17 other local to national conferences, webinars, and/or workshops.
- Consulting Services Provided.