Matthew J. Bunkers, Ph.D.
Certified Consulting Meteorologist
Phone: 605.390.7243 (mobile)
I have 27+ years of weather analysis and forecasting experience, and have been retained and/or used as a consultant for 29 cases since 2017. My specialties include forensic meteorology, weather and forecasting, radar, satellite, severe storms, rainfall and flooding, winter weather, fire weather, applied climate and meteorology, ag weather, education and training, and technical editing. See below for relevant experience. Click here for more information on services that I provide.
Based out of Rapid City, South Dakota, I can provide consulting services across North America. Past clients have been from Arizona, Colorado, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas, and Wyoming.
CV and Fee Schedule:
Available upon request. I have a 3-hour retainer, and bill in 10-minute increments. The initial consultation prior to being retained is free.
- I have worked on cases involving (i) analyses of hail/wind/tornado damage to businesses, crops, farm property (e.g., grain bins and irrigation systems), and housing units for insurance-related claims/lawsuits, (ii) climate and weather analyses for a mining operation and a preventative planting insurance claim, (iii) rainfall return frequency analyses for flooding of homes, (iv) snowfall and rainfall analyses for insurance claims, (v) climate and severe weather documentation for construction delays and adverse weather days, (vi) cloud cover/moonlight and rainfall analyses for automobile accidents, (vii) slips and falls related to snowfall and freezing drizzle, (viii) windstorm and drought analysis for a wildfire, (ix) fire-weather observations and research papers for a fellow consulting meteorologist, (x) a technical review of a weather book, (xi) a general radar/hail project, (xii) presentations on flash flooding, storm observing, photography, and safety, and (xiii) consulting advice for a fellow consulting meteorologist.
- Previously, I assisted the Air Force and United States Forest Service by providing meteorological data and interpretation for an investigation of a C-130 crash that occurred during August 2012.
- I was part of the Service Assessment team for the Rogers, Minnesota, F2 tornado that occurred on 16 September 2006.
- I served the South Dakota legal system on 27 June 2005 by providing expert weather testimony for a homicide case.
- I have reviewed over 100 papers for professional journals, and was recognized for this service by the American Meteorological Society (AMS) Editor’s Award in 2004 for Weather and Forecasting. In addition, I was the keynote speaker for three conferences, a guest/invited speaker for 19 various events, and a presenter for at least 13 other local to national conferences, webinars, and/or workshops.